Friday, August 28, 2009

New To Me... Pseudo Slang


Last week, I came across a track by a group called Psuedo Slang, out of Buffalo, NY, called Broke & Copasetic. The track caught my eye because it featured Vinia Mojica.

After hearing the track, I had to hear more from Pseudo Slang, so I went over to iTunes, previewed the album, "We'll Keep Looking", and the proceeded to fork over $9.99 for the album. It turned out to be the best $9.99 I spent last week. The album is dope, end to end. Don't believe me, check out the album review over at Okayplayer:

We’ll Keep Looking, the latest effort by Pseudo Slang, blends standard jazz with drum and bass lines, the likes of Dilla, and a silk, though seemingly tangential flow, which happens to work perfectly with the jazz root of each track. This is what would’ve happened if Digable Planets formed a super group with Slum Village.


Wow... that last sentence really raises the expectation... but the album delivers!!! Okayplayer rated the album an 88. For context Tanya Morgan's Brooklynati rated an 89, Diamond District's (Oddisee, yU & XO) In the Ruff rated an 87 and Marco Polo & Torae's Double Barrel an 81.

More from Pseudo Slang's We'll Keep Looking:
Perfect Beat:


Bedouin



A Deeper Dive....
In trying to find out more about Pseudo Slang, I found that one of the member of the group, Tone Atlas, was part of Pseudo Intellectuals. Pseudo Intellectuals dropped in 2008. All I can say, "Damn, what a fun and creative album"... its definitely worth copping! My iPhone has a playlist dedicated to We'll Keep Looking and Resourceful Illery that's been playing since last week....

Decemberfest


Autumn Leaves


No Money, More Problems

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the good words about PS, I'd love to hit you with some new tunes as they're droppin, much respect. - Emcee Sick

    ReplyDelete