Sunday, August 23, 2009

UPDATE: Hip Hop Hits (1990-2004)

UPDATE: Hip Hop Hits (1990-2004)

After me and my boy e.V.p spent close to 3 hours going through all the videos Jeff Weiss of Passion of the Weiss wrote about (did not set out to go through all the videos, just turned out that way), here are some observations:

-One De La Soul song, REALLY?
-Mos Def, one song... that's criminal!
-Chingy, three songs, really?
-Meth and Red dropped 'How High?' 14 YEARS AGO! DAYUM... really, does it seem like 14 years ago???
-DMX had the late 90s on lock! What happened?
-Father MC was more popular than I remember (peep a young Mary J in the I'll Do 4 U video - DEC1990)
-Craig Mack, Shyne, Black Rob, Biggie, Mase, The Lox proves that Puffy is poison
-Busta Rhymes wasn't always so angry...
-Snoop and Dre need to work exclusively with each other!
-Lauryn Hill is a Top 5 emcee, male or female, PERIOD!
-A lot of Too Short, a LOT of Too Short I never heard of before... and yet I feel better about myself for it...
-What happened to conscious rap?
-Eve is one of the nicest female emcees, ever...
-Missy & Luda knew how to make a hot video...
-What happened to lyricism?
-What happened to real DJing in a rap song?
-Too much Nelly & JaRule, not enough KRS-One!
-Who knew Kriss Kross grew up to be the Ying Yang twins...
-WIll Smith's Summertime is still one of the best summer songs to this day, the other Will offerings have no business being on this list!
-Not hatin, but West Coast Gangsta Rap just isn't my thing...
-One spit in a song makes Joe Public hip hop?
-Pharrell's been around for a loooog time..


LINK TO VIDEOS via Passion of the Weiss

What are some of your observations? Hit me up in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment